What are the top 5 rap debut albums?

A rapper’s debut album is a place where they can make a statement and showcase their style to the world. They put their personalities and rhyming styles in front of the world for the very first time to try to get noticed. Some rappers are pretty trash on their debut albums, having yet to fully realize their potential as rhymers. Others end up dropping landmark albums their very first time and never reach that level again. For this post, I want you guys to list your opinions on what the objective top 5 rap debut albums of all time are. Mixtapes count, albums that aren’t really a debut but just a major label debut don’t either. An artist that is or was part of a group and drops a solo album for the first time counts. Bring it on.

Fashawn’s “Boy Meets World” easily deserves a mention. I also love the first album by The Left (Gas Mask) along with the first Ugly Heroes album.

The Preface by eLZhi is another easy mention for me. Black Milk’s production alone makes the album incredible and every rhyme eLZhi spits does the beats justice.

Let’s Get Free by Dead Prez is my second favourite album of all time and I think it’ll never get the appreciation it deserves. Tracks like “Propaganda” puts chills down my spine and years later the world can relate to the lyrics just as much (if not more).

Evidence’s “The Weatherman LP” too. Such a great album and Evidence is easily one of my favourite artists ever.

I could name a lot of other flawless projects and it’s hard to limit it to just 5 or so, obviously I missed some out.

BIG - Ready to Die

Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers

Nas - Illmatic

Jay Z - Reasonable Doubt

Snoop - Doggystyle

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1. Nas - Illmatic
  2. Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers
  3. Jay Z - Reasonable Doubt
  4. Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens
  5. Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor

Never heard Below the Heavens, what type of rap is it? What’s the history behind it?

1. Nas - Illmatic
  2. Jay-z - Reasonable Doubt
  3. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
  4. Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
  5. Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

This list could easily double as a Top 5 albums OAT list

Very soulful and upbeat west coast hip-hop with these super relatable and honest narratives, think J-Cole but actually talented.

Exile, of Emanon fame, is on the board and he drops these breezy, soulful and kinda nostalgic sounding beats. He and Blu met while Blu was performing as a hypeman for acts like Slum Village I think, after Aloe Blacc personally introduced him to Exile.

The months leading up to the album were NUTS, the hype was fucking unreal. Everyone was putting him on their all time top 5 lists, calling him the savior of the new school, etc. Kinda similar to Kendrick actually, and before that, Lupe.

You should definitely check it out. It’s one of my favorite albums of all time and an undeniable underground classic.

That “Blue” sample by Joni Mitchell always gets me… Such a great project.

Thanks, man. Looking forward to checking it out.

These are just my favorite albums that was a debut.

1. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx… - Raekwon
  2. Illmatic - Nas
  3. Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - Wu-Tang Clan
  4. Doggystyle - Snoop Dogg
  5. Ironman - Ghostface Killah

been meaning to listen to this one, I’ll have to do that tomorrow

It’s a great album

1. Illmatic
  2. Ready To Die
  3. SSLP
  4. Reasonable Doubt
  5. 36 Chambers

Soulja Boy - souljaboytellem.com

Wouldn’t Infinite count as Eminen’s debut?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Actually yeah J Cole does remind me of blu. Maybe a little more modern sounding. Also I think jcole is great.

Love Below the Heavens but I dont think blu ever recreated the magic. Didnt like NoYork or Give me my flowers. Her favourite colour was pretty good though. Thats about all Ive listened to.

How has nobody mentioned it’s dark and hell is hot

Doggy style, it’s dark hell is hot, reasonable doubt, illmatic and I’ll put the Realness just to change it up a bit from other answers

OutKast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
Mac Mall - Illegal Business?
The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde
Jeru the Damaja - The Sun Rises in the East
Scarface - Mr. Scarface is Back

these are the first ones that come to my mind as my favourite entry in each artist’s respective discography, not a definitive list by any means though.