Last movie you watched Thread

not just movies tbh

i hate to break it to you but theres a thing called subjectivity

subjectivity a pussy ass thing all my opinions objectively true fuck u

7/10

#The Emoji Movie

moty

i really think seth rogen stopped being funny years ago. his shtick was okay with me when it was new but he’s still making the same exact comedies over and over.

while you guys post your weak “movies” i am here to point you in the direction of real art.

MOTY contender

Never done one of these but I just read McCulloch v Maryland and that shit sucks my guys and girls so here’s a write up on unrelated shit.

Actual last movie I watched:

Crazy fucking movie. Weirdly beautiful and insightful on being human/growing up and having our childhood curiosity beaten out of us as we get older. Pretty uncomfortable at times (which was the point, but still, fart jokes never really do it for me), but beautifully done overall. The music is all Paul Dano singing a capella arrangements in multiple parts with slow-buildy dramatic tendencies. The ending was weird and subverted a lot of the tropes that I thought the movie was gonna just handle like they usually are, which was nice. Overall really good and really weird, the Ween of movies so it gets a 9/10 for me

Movie I saw before this one but I wanna write about anyway:
Done by the same dude that did Boyhood (and School of Rock!), this movie is basically people having really in depth philosophical conversations with this one dude (or no one, or some other dude. Basically just people having philosophical conversations). The whole movie is rotoscoped, so it’s filmed like a normal movie and then each frame is traced over, making this really weird fucking animation style, and then on top of that they do weird shit with it like making people entirely red, or have their heads change shape or whatever. Great movie to get blazed to and try to follow, don’t worry if you don’t understand who these people are referencing, or the big philosophy concepts they drop by name, there are concepts and ideas in here that everyone can grasp, and there were a ton of parts in this movie that I had very little idea what the fuck was being talked about and I studied philosophy for a little while (so I’m like an expert right?). Nice to just get you thinking about contrasting ideas (they cover most sides of major philosophical issues (I think)), and also ideas you flat out don’t agree with at all. Overall super insightful and thought provoking if you’re into that kinda shit. I give it an 8/10 because it’s a lot to take in, maybe my score will change when I watch it again. Watch with a friend, and talk about this shit. Everyone can participate in philosophy

This shit is poetry in motion, if I were to tell you there was a movie with this cast playing african fucking animals in an awe-inspiring, coming of age, back to your roots film y’all would go wild. This film deserves at least 1.4 times as much respect as its been given, the soundtrack is literal flames, from the white dad rock to some badass bongos and hoodoo voodoo witch doctor chant shit.

you’ll be better off having watched this i promise ok

motomotoanamesoniceyousayittwice/10

im back boys

Definitely agree with you on all points here. will.i.am’s Moto Moto is truly a character of the ages. Shame that Madagascar 3 was such trash

Mediocre definitely has negative undertones if you compare it to a word like average

Always wanted to participate in this thread, so I’m doing a massive bump.

Over the last year or so I’ve watched more movies than i ever have in my life - here’s all of them, in order of when I watched them, and thoughts for some of them.

I’ve got a lot of 8/10 ratings so I’ll clarify whether they are low, mid, or high 8’s.

:recycle: means re-watched, //short film// means it was under the length of a standard 90 minute feature film. +++ means I have nothing to say about this film.

• Black Panther (2018) - 7/10
    | First watch of 2018 at my local cineplex. The subversion of hero/villain character dynamics and admirable presentation of themes even if a little heavy handed kept me invested. Cheap jokes, certain plot points and weak score tax my full enjoyment of it though.

• Lady Bird (2017) - 10/10
    | Every plot point and character flaw Saoirse Ronan’s Lady Bird exhibited was highly relateable to my identity and personal experience, I was absolutely pulled in from start to finish, with light humor and honest teenage experiences, flawlessly moving into a second act of reconciling youth indeterminacy. The ending left me devastated, I haven’t quite had a moment like that in my life. I kinda just sat there for 15 minutes after it ended and thought about every major event in my teenage life up to that point.

• Social Network (2011) - 10/10
    | Jesse Eisenberg’s Mark Zuckerberg is so fast paced, witty and snappy, ahead of the natural pace of life. Its fascinating to see his character process his surroundings and realize all the problems he misses in the long term working on making Facebook what it is today. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross’ score is iconic and excellently forms the gripping, off-kilter, dark identity the film carries. Every contemporary dramatization of corporate fuckery strives to be this comprehensive. slick and lethal.

• Nightcrawler (2014) - 10/10
    | Jake Gyllenhaal put on one of the best performances of all time. Hands down. Lou Blooms character is sickeningly smart mouthed and hard to put a finger on until its plain to see his true form at the very end. Nightcrawler is an excellent sidelines look at how the media uses the tool of fear to drive consumers to their product. The uncut result ends up capturing the manufactured behind the scenes.

• Drive (2011) - mid 8/10
    | 1. Ryan Gosling 2. the soundtrack 3. the action scenes 4. the shots.

• Inception (2010) - 9/10
    | I love that its a really imaginative concept that absolutely challenges the viewer from a lot of different ways. Over the years I still hear people say they don’t understand the ending. Other than that it has great characters, plot, dialogue yadda yadda film bro jargon.

• Kedi (2011) - 7/10
    | a documentary about cats in Turkey, super cute and fun n yea

• Sorry to Bother You (2018) - mid 8/10
    | Really unexpected turn to a fairly grounded and critical comedy/drama, yet the fantasy aspect doesn’t ruin the impact of everything. Boots Riley packaged his revolutionary rhetoric into such a comprehensive and enjoyable story.
    | Why stan Loona when you can (Lakeith) Stan Field.

• Good Time (2017) - mid 8/10
    | Robert Pattinson is really having a Soulja Boy redemption arc of his own, salvaging his career from the depths of Twilight to play one of the most anxiety inducing characters of the decade. But I think Benny Safdie, the co-director of this film, played the best part, especially with that ending. Whew.

• The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012) - low 8/10
    | I feel the same here as I did Lady Bird except there was some corn and some things that bothered me a little. Still great and emotionally touching

• Arrival (2016) - 8/10
    | Thank you Denis Villeneuve, very cool!
    | nah but honestly this is a knock out of the park for modern sci-fi but I’d love if the whole subplot for the romance was stronger and more fleshed out.

• The Florida Project (2017) - 7/10
    | I think the Halley character was so viscerally annoying it effected my enjoyment of the movie but that was the point so I respect it. Great commentary on socio economic living - at a point where you aren’t homeless but you aren’t sufficient or comfortably living - things are so far yet so close to you. Especially through the eyes of a child, they can’t see this conflict.

• Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - 10/10
    | cries in Jim Carrey

• The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) - 5/10
    +++

• In Bruges (2008) - 7/10
    +++

• Pulp Fiction (1994) - 9/10
    | i came into this kinda expecting to think its overrated but nah that shit is pretty undeniable

• Get Out (2017) - high 8/10
    | plays Auntie AJ - Fuck White People

• Do The Right Thing (1989) - 10/10
    | Just as undeniable as Pulp Fiction. Also I’ve seen parts of this before when I was young so theres a nostalgia factor here. Wet Dick Willy for President 2020

• Isle of Dogs (2018) - 7/10
    | Great animation and visuals as always from Wes Anderson. But yea the plot and character dynamics were confusing.

• Thoroughbreds (2017) - 6/10
    +++

• Kubo and the Two Strings (2016) - 9/10
    +++

• Blackkklansmen (2018) - low 8/10
    Maybe I like the concept of this more than I do the actual film, which ended up being pretty unsubtle and cloying. But yea I think its generally satisfying and kick-ass, and the humor isn’t too immature/simple for a commercially accessible anti-racist film. Its also just incredible that they got Topher fucking Grace to play the KKK leader. That’s just comedy within itself.

• Call Me By Your Name (2017) - 6/10
    | the majority of this film didnt need to be there. great scenic shots and an incredibly emotional ending but there was little to no explanation to anything leading up to it.

• Your Name (2016) - 9/10
    | Am I a weeb yet
    | naw but everyone should check this out though, even if you’re not acclimated to anime in general. It can be a great starting place for anyone, even those who are looking to get into other anime films besides those made by Studio Ghibli. Its relentlessly emotionally destructive, meticulously animated and so well put together. I still can’t stop thinking about it since I watched it.

• La Luna (2011) - high 8/10
    // short film //

• Shame (2011) - 6/10
    | Pretty respectable as far as the point of the film goes, and the acting was strong, but it just felt… not for me. I was constantly pausing and egging myself to get through it. P crazy end tho.

• Whiplash (2013) - 9/10
    | I felt like I was being mentally abused by JK Simmons just watching the damn thing. But in a good way.

• I Am Not Your Negro (2016) - 7/10
    | documentary on James Baldwin and the civil rights movement

• Love, Simon (2018) - 5/10
    | Sappy and too cleanly directed. Forced references and forced dialogue. I admire its presence though, its nice to see a positive gay love story. And there were some real poignant moments on the gay experience.

• Straight outta Compton (2015) - 6/10
    | I mean I like NWA and their story is interesting but idk there wasn’t much too it other than that story. Other than it being sad Eazy E died n Jerry Heller was a bitch.

• Midnight in Paris (2011) - 7/10
    | one of the few times Owen Wilson isnt unbearably corny. Great concept. Fuck Woody Allen though.

• Hannah Gadsby: Nanette (2018) - high 8/10
    | comedy set - mostly meta and socially conscious jokes - funny but also thought provoking. Abstract now that I think about it

• Up (2009) - 10/10 :recycle:
    | still hits as hard as it did 10 years ago

• The Shape of Water (2017) - low 8/10
    +++

• To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before (2018) - 6/10
    | Fun and cute n all that + its great to see an Asian girl lead in a major film about teen romance. Not breathtaking or mindblowing or over-emotional but it was nice to have on.

• Baby Driver (2017) - mid 8/10
    | Edgar Wright brought so much colour and life to the typical action-epic. Dialogue with a sense of humor, a speedy plot arc, unapologetically eye-catching visuals, obvious but not forced references to other films and media - It’s far from growing stale or cliche at any point.The car chases are actually insane and I usually don’t care about those. Unfortunately Kvin Spcey had to be in this movie.

• Three Billboards Outside Ebbings, Missouri (2017) - 5/10
    | Whatever political statement it was going for here was buried under 10 other unnecessary political statements and hypocritical scenes to answer them. The acting was convincing, almost enough to hide the stench underneath if you pay close enough attention. Open cop apologizing, black tokenism, midget jokes - this movie is quite liberal, in the worst way. But it’s not terrible I suppose.

• Flavours of Youth (2018) - 7/10
    | The animators behind Your Name made this movie. Oh, uh, what do I think about it? The animators behind Your Name made this movie.

• Won’t You Be My Neighbor? (2018) - high 8/10
    | fuckkkkkkk this made me an absolute wreck by the end. Not only did this teach me a lot about Mr Rogers, it taught me a lot about life. Powerful stuff.

• Loving Vincent (2016) - high 8/10
    | Outside of the very very impressive “gimmick” (the story was animated using thousands of frames that were hand painted in the style of Vincent Van Gogh), there’s an interesting story underneath and they do a great job stressing the narrative. Idk I have my doubts about this one, if its just the magic of the first-time watch, but who knows.

• Swiss Army Man (2016) - 10/10
    | This movie is touching, yet it doesn’t retain any sanitary and white washed qualities of what “moving” or “heartwarming” looks like. it utilizes the most basic, primitive elements of humor to its advantage, and has super abstract, existential ideas about social acceptance and living with no filter. Its absolutely ridiculous. I won’t spoil it but the ending is almost 4chan greentext worthy in the best way. Yet it ends up making this ridiculousness fit within the serious and genuine sentiments.

• Moon (2009) - 6/10
    +++

• A Ghost Story (2017) - 5/10 |
    +++

• Spotlight (2015) - 7/10
    | For what its worth I think this could have done just as well as a documentary. It really just presents the shocking information and doesn’t run with it anywhere. But yes, the information was pretty shocking and the movie was paced well enough for the information build to get quite sickening and disturbing. I see why it got Best Picture.

• Punch Drunk Love (2002) - low 8/10
    +++

• Hereditary (2018) - 4/10
    | I need to rewatch this, this was like the first horror movie ive ever sat through in its entirety so I was quite uneducated when I saw it. My rating was kinda based less on the quality of the movie and more of the fact that I wasn’t a fan of horror movies, but thats changed since then.

• Me, Earl and the Dying Girl (2015) - 7/10
    +++

• Kill Bill Vol. 1 (2003) - low 8/10
    | Hell! Yea! Uma! Thurman! Kicked! A! Lot! Of! Butt!

• Frances Ha (2012) - 6/10
    +++

• It Comes At Night (2017) - 5/10
    | Generic as fuck apocalypse scifi thriller movie.

• Room (2015) - 9/10
    | This movie is so intense. The second half is a little weaker than the first half but it definitely belongs in the film. Don’t wanna spoil anything though. Also shoutout that shot of Apache Burger at the end thats my borough :slight_smile:

aight im not doing reviews anymore this list is too long for that just ask me if u want my full thoughts on anything below this point

• First Reformed (2018) - 9/10

• Wall E (2008) - 9/10 :recycle:

• Spirited Away (2001) - 10/10

• Grave of the Fireflies (1988) - 9/10

• Princess Mononoke (1997) - 9/10

• The After Party (2018) - 2/10

• 12 Angry Men (1957) - 9/10

• Zootopia (2016) - low 8/10

• Columbus (2017) - 5/10

• American Animals (2018) - 4/10

• Gone Girl (2014) - high 8/10

• Eighth Grade (2018) - 9/10

• Hearts Beat Loud (2018) - 3/10

• Her (2013) - 10/10

• Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) - 4/10

• A Clockwork Orange (1971) - mid 8/10

• Sing Street (2016) - low 8/10

• The Lobster (2015) - 4/10

• First Man (2018) - low 8/10

• Howl’s Moving Castle (2004) - mid 8/10

• Phantom Thread (2017) - 6/10

• Paddington (2014) - 5/10

• Paddington 2 (2017) - low 8/10

• Annihilation (2018) - high 8/10

• Akira (1988) - high 8/10

• Leave No Trace (2018) - 5/10

• Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - high 8/10

• I Tonya (2017) - low 8/10

• Coco (2017) - 7/10

• Moonrise Kingdom (2012) - mid 8/10

• Searching (2018) - 7/10

• Upgrade (2018) - 4/10

• The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018) - 6/10

• John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous (2018) - 8/10

• Spring Breakers (2013) - 5/10

• Casablanca (1942) - 7/10

• Fruitvale Station (2013) - 7/10

• Blindspotting (2018) - 6/10

• Inside Out (2015) - low 8/10 :recycle:

• Burning (2018) - mid 8/10

• Children Of Men (2006) - 9/10

• Roma (2018) - 9/10

• Mary & The Witch’s Flower (2018) - 5/10

• Bao (2018) - 9/10
    // short film //

• Lost in Translation (2003) - 4/10

• Big Hero 6 (2015)

• Mid90s (2018) - low 8/10

• Crazy Rich Asians (2018) - 4/10

• The Miseducation of Cameron Post (2018) - low 8/10

• Mandy (2018) - mid 8/10

dragon ball super: broly

probably the best db movie you could hope for at this point. combines all the best parts of the series into a fun movie. also love the re-imagined backstory of broly

I’m surprised you gave blindspotting a 6, i thought it was amazing… apart from the last scene

I mean I understand why they included the last scene but it was still kinda jarring to watch

it was really powerful as far as the visual communication of dread and exhaustion goes, and for a mainstream movie about race it was surprisingly deep with some of the dialogue, but some scenes were pretty corny / didnt make sense to me

WHY did there need to be so much rapping it just felt like… a white middle schoolers day dream about how they are gonna pwn all the kids in a rap battle and every1s gonna clap at the end. I get they wanted some way to tie the movie together with a motif and explain a narrative but… doing these standalone acapella verses felt super manipulative and cheap

badbadnotgood times at the el royale