Last.fm 3x3 thread

random album from each line:

Busdriver - still my favorite album from last year, feel like it’s been largely misunderstood; the production on this is astonishing, lyrics are an absolute puzzle but still the tracks themselves are more than enjoyable, everything flow so well and i really dont feel that 1.5 hr passing with this proj

Wiki - still my favorite album from 2017, both projects are highly enjoyable and wiki is my favorite rapper out right now, his indirect storytelling and just his wording and delivery is so unique and NY, really brings me there even tho ive never been

People Under the Stairs - what a farewell, enjoyable and musically diverse, some of those samples are absolute blessings, it really reminded me of ATCQ’s final album, while not as musically rich (still more than varied however dont get me wrong) it evoked that exact feeling from listening to We Got It From Here…

Migos - still gonna fight anyone arguing that Culture isnt a modern classic and will go down as one of the defining moments of the 10s. Track by track this one gets better with each listen, some of those cuts are actually insane (Kelly Price is NUTS) and still sound fresh and kinda timeless in some way; also quite strange with the song structure, this is an interesting approach to base the whole songs around hooks in a way Migos do

Czarface - a disappointment to say the least, didnt feel it on my first listen although Ghost is my favorite rapper EVER; even he doesnt sound right on these cuts, the lyricism is so one-dimensional its not even funny at this point. worst thing is its probably not gonna get better from here, probs only worse unless they make some significant changes to their sound which, of course, wont happen

DJ SEINFELD - TIME SPENT AWAY FROM U - honestly an addicting listen. amazing atmosphere and a real commitment to that “lo-fi” aesthetic without being kitschy. surprised i’m still listening so much
PLAYBOI CARTI - PLAYBOI CARTI - ok this actually is better than die lit. amazing album super classic.
GOODIE MOB - STILL STANDING - stone cold classic from the best atlanta rap group :wink:
THE CURE - THREE IMAGINARY BOYS - personally my favorite cure album, still dark and creepy without being as dramatic about it as their later stuff. most of their stuff i’ve heard is great anyway tho
LONG BEARD - SLEEPWALKER - middle of the road bedroom dream-pop, nothing insane but i do like listening to it
ROSS FROM FRIENDS - FAMILY PORTRAIT - pretty much same boat as the dj seinfeld album, both from artists with absolutely ass names and ironic positioning, but thankfully the product is genuine
STONE TEMPLE PILOTS - PURPLE - stone cold classic, grunge 101 that not enough people know about imo
YO LA TENGO - AND THEN NOTHING TURNED ITSELF INSIDE-OUT - not as good as painful but it’s got some really great moments
MY BLOODY VALENTINE - LOVELESS - stone cold classic gets better every listen
RADIOHEAD - KID A - my favorite radiohead album, really clicks from track to track
MGMT - CONGRATULATIONS - lol these guys forgot everything that made oracular spectacular so great on this one. i do like this but i can’t remember a total of 45 seconds from it
TALK TALK - SPIRIT OF EDEN - the best talk talk album! crazy progression! wild vocals b!
THE POLICE - REGGATTA DE BLANC - shit is a super classic besides a couple dumb songs, but wow man. shit like message in a bottle, walking on the moon, bed’s too big without you etc, all some of my favorite songs. these guys’ music aged pretty well
BOWERY ELECTRIC - BEAT - nothing to say about this it’s p gud though
TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS - DAMN THE TORPEDOES - stone cold super classic, tom petty is one of the greatest to ever do it :blacyoungsta:

• how to leave town is one of my very favorites of will’s works. one of the more concise of his projects i think it’s billed as an ep even though it’s nearly an hour. fav track - hey space cadet
  • very vulnerable sad album by julia but very good. fav track - don’t know how to keep loving you
  • higher brothers come thru with a dope album i can see myself returning to a lot of these tracks. high energy inventive flows good features. nice. fav track - won’t believe
  • mega man x is one of the best games ever with one of the best osts ever. fav track - spark mandriller stage
  • rip mark. fav track - the rainbow
  • actually forgot to finish vespertine ngl lol

Gang Starr - Guru’s rapping is so ahead of its time it is insane, i still cant get over the fact that someone rapped like that from early 90s up till the moment Moment of Truth was released

King Cesar - randomly remembered that album from 2016 and its not to be slept on, a member of MIC getting together with a few affiliates and rapping his ass off, cool shish for those alternative gritty sound lovers

Schoolboy Q - happy 5th Oxymoron, fantastic album especially coming from Habits and Contradictions which feels severely underdeveloped looking back

Gunna - this one was recced to me by @mick, too bad i didnt like the album at all, the nautic theme feels like a stretch for the most part, its just very leveled sounding and kinda quiet is what i got out of it, extremely uneventful and totally bleak; could see myself putting it on at night when im super drunk or something but not much else

Childish Gambino - …yeah this one is still absolutely horrendous in terms of lyrics, even tho its kinda fun to listen to and while its basically rhymed puns theyre still plentiful and end up being a biiiiiiiit entertaining just for the sheer amount of it; the whole outcast thing feels super corny tho and i cant believe he was TWENTY FUCKING EIGHT years old at the time of recording this like good lord he was twenty years old at the time of recording this…

eclectic n whatnot

Couple stray thoughts on some of these albums:

Kendrick Lamar - DAMN. - a lot of the streams for this were just me streaming “GOD.” aka an amazing song, but the album as a whole was really solid when relistening. enjoyed it much more than i thought i would thankfully
Sigur Ros - ( ) this is what dreams are made of, completely floored by this one
Highspire - Aquatic - i don’t really remember how i came across this shit. nice pleasant retro shoegaze, nothing amazing and i didn’t really pay too much attention to it while listening
Wilco - yankee hotel foxtrot - in the running for greatest soyboy album ever made. the guy says “I shake like a toothache / when i hear myself sing” and i have never heard a more soy statement than that. still an excellent album on all levels p much

Top whatever whatever most streamed tracks:

1. Kendrick Lamar - “GOD.”
  2. Roddy Ricch - “Die Young”
  3. Future - “Real Sisters” / “Peacoat” / “No Basic” / “Where I Came From”
  4. Highspire - “Dusted”
  5. Kodak Black - “Testimony”
  6. Sigur Ros - “Untitled #1 - Vaka” / “Untitled #5 - álafoss” / “Untitled #6 - E-Bow”
  7. Sweet Trip - “Dsco”
  8. Aphex Twin - “Tha” / “Xtal”
  9. Beck - “Computer Rock” / “Jack-Ass”
  10. DJ Seinfeld - “I Hope I Sleep Tonight”
  11. Drake f/Yung Miami - “In My Feelings”

i cant get enough of love for GOD. but calling yhf the greatest soyboy album ever made is what really made this post shine

had to edit in the king crimson albums cuz robert fripps a bitch and the hand habits album cuz no one bothered to put up the cover on Last.fm

everything is in order from most to least recent

• Ride - Going Blank Again (9/10)
    excellent! extremely well written, filled with texturing shoegazy guitars and fun alt rock hooks. exciting from front to back, fun as hell to jam out to.

• Mitski - Be the Cowboy (9/10)
    starting to realize this album’s greatness!! the lyrics deal with personal and interpersonal problems this humbling, humanitarian way but also seem to relate them to broader socio-political and existential problems which is really neat. it also sounds so inspired and easy to listen to for an artsy indie rock record. breath of fresh air fr

• Oxbow - Thin Black Duke (7/10)
    really cool. don’t have much to say about it, great production with strings, guitar, horns and piano/weirdly funny but intimidating vocalist/very dark and brooding, almost has a militaristic/cult feel. i’ll probably like it more with subsequent listens when I care a little more.

• Soda Stereo - Dynamo (7/10)
    very pleasant, slightly groovy, adequate for my recent shoegaze binge.

• Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (5/10)
    i… still don’t really care for Bob Dylan. idk if anything of his will win me over, the very mundane banjo strumming, his tired vocal inflection and wailing harmonica solos just get very boring after a while. his storytelling is quite dope though, thats the one thing i really admire.

• King Crimson - Red (9/10) and Discipline (8/10)
    King Crimson continues to be probably my only caveat in my dislike for prog rock. they sound sooooo fucking ahead of the curve, my god they just really understood how to avoid cheesiness. Discipline is especially surprising, given they took 7 years hiatus after Red and managed to make a completely original and astounding new wave inspired record, as their contemporaries at that point were all washed. i will probably revisit these real soon, as well as their other records.

• Mach Hommy - HBO (9/10), The Spook (8/10), Fetes Des Mortes (7/10), Dump Gawd: Hommy Edition (7/10)
    HBO is becoming one of my favourite records of all time. seamless experience that doesnt exhaust itself despite its length, which Dump Gawd seems to do even though its far shorter. on the daily i catch myself hearing the biggie sample from Trezeta Air Max in my head. The Spook (w/ Knx) is also an incredible pairing, he glides so effortlessly over those shits is beautiful. Fetes Des Mortes was cool I hope it grows on me

• Quelle Chris - Being You Is Great… (6/10)
    I grew on it a little bit (which is great, ive been trying for a while to understand it) but, even though i think Quelle is really unique and has a great sense of humor, he puts me to absolute sleep vocally. its just too subtle for my taste (which is weird cause Roc and Ka are in my wheelhouse). great features on here tho

• Roc Marciano - Reloaded (10/10), Rosebudd’s Revenge 2: The Bitter Dose (5/10)
    Reloaded is immaculate. everything just blows me away even more when i relisten to it, how he even managed to think of the sample choices is beyond me. RR2 is a little rough, it has some moments but its terribly unnotable to me which I guess is an unpopular opinion. bed spring king is off-putting too.

• Issac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul (9/10)
    whew this was absolutely just wow. this first listen was like a line of cocaine. unbelievable guitar work on here for starters. spoke to me spiritually i swear

• Hand Habits - Placeholder (4/10)
    boring

• Death - Individual Thought Patterns (7/10)
    it bangs but i literally cant tell a difference between this and the previous record

• Faith No More - Angel Dust (4/10)
    lord this was…boring and cringy. the ironic R&B song at the end of this alt metal record is better than the previous 80% of it

• Julia Jacklin - Crushing (5/10)
    cute, a little generic n sounds a lot like mitski tho

• Notorious BIG - Ready To Die (8/10)
    Not much to add that hasn’t already been said. I don’t feel a massive personal connection to it though… it just feels like a very admirable classic with great songs.

• Isaiah Rashad - Cilvia Demo (9/10)
    i need LP2 babe please

• Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head (9/10)
    It blows me away how they came up with so many iconic riffs and sequences on one album. goddamn.

• Lomelda - M for Empathy (5/10)
    indie album #39854938908549853904583094t58349085940583945809345830945834 that manages to not grab any of my attention

• Little Simz - Grey Area (7/10)
    sick use of a distinct aesthetic and sound palette with the beats that match her pretty slick and bouncy flow/delivery. its short and doesnt meander at all. very impressed, i was pretty sure this was gonna be a skippable album going into this

• 2 Chainz - Rap or Go to the League (7/10)
    a little spotty but manages to come out with an enjoyable run of songs. Not as soulful all the way through as I would have liked but the extent to which it all bangs kinda makes up for it. Kendrick’s verse could have been better… and i wasnt a fan of the first tracks hook, or the lyrics on the final track.

• Solange - When I Get Home (8/10)
    Just an entire clusterfuck of features and guests that was impossible to go wrong, but in the end Solange came through with a very pleasant and unified, glitchy, soulful experience. best record of the year so far

faith no more is a bust, i liked some of this album as a kid but i have never been able to listen to a single song all the way through in recent years. way too tryhard.

but also big fella are you telling me to listen to that coldplay album? because i will do it.

aight no way i let ur ppinions go to waste i gotta respond so here goes:

bob dylan - DAMN but i guess in this day and age dylans personality might give off that ‘pretentious art student’ vibe even tho he pulls it so nicely on most of his records; funny but Highway 61 Revisited is my 2nd favorite in his big trio after Bringing it all Back home; maybe his second-hand classics (Blood on the Tracks, John Wesley Harding) would be more enjoyable to you

king crimson - i feel like i will never not get goosebumps when i hear the opening of 21st Century Schizoid Man; king crimson was definitely my favorite band on earth during those three months when i first discovered them; i still adore most of their stuff, dont sleep on In The Wake of Poseidon too! its basically ‘In The Court’-revisited but some of their tracks on it are absolute gems; Cat Food features some of my favorite drumming ever across all genres, its so breezy fresh i cant help it

mach-hommy - becomes my favorite rapper off of one album lmao, Dump Gawd actually might be my most recent ‘ten out of ten’, took me a while to get into but good lord what a ride this project is; his other albums are great but yet to grow on me properly in the same way Dump Gawd did

Quelle Chris - loved his lowkey style, him and Open Mike Eagle on the same track would probably put me into hibernation right there on the spot; not my favorite project of his and id def suggest Everything’s Fine in before any of his solo projects

Marc - RR2 grew on me actually, i still cant get over the bed spring sample and that horrendous Drake impersonation on one of the tracks; aside from that its tight, Reloaded tho is fucking water

Death - damn death metal records sounding the same, never heard that before! try Symbolic tho

Biggie - this is the album that taught me English fucking language lmfao i really feel like it should be a must for people in terms of understanding slang (i dont wanna say ebonics you know how it is) but other than that its immaculate almost top to bottom (a few tracks on the 2nd half are kinda lacking even tho on their own theyre good)

my week. i got nothing special to say. AL-90 album bumps. teens of denial is masterful.

Lil Wayne - been on that short Wayne binge earlier this week, never cared for TC1 much but really feeling it right now. Snitch, Cash Money Millionaires, Hoes are all bangers definitely, could see it growing on me even more (im not too constant on listening to waynes projects i admit)

Project Pat - i dont mind Memphis rap but never cared for it much; recently ive been reading a bit more on it and decided to give this Project Pat proj a go and goodness gracious what an album! i dont think ive ever heard Juicy J sounding as good as he is on this one. the beats are all fire, you know how it is with DJ Paul prod

Armand Hammer - another recent bingeoni of mine, been trying out those early Armand Hammer projects, dont think ive heard Half Measures before so gave it a spin; its p good, theyre still coming into their own and i like the production although its not as vibrant as their later releases. one thing though, i am so in love with woods rapping: he sounds exactly like the guy with ‘the end is nigh’ poster all day on the streets, he reminds me of Tom Waits a lot and id surely call him the hip-hop Tom Waits even tho i dont like the ‘x is y’s z’ thing

The Roots - this is probably my favorite Roots project, only next to Do You Want More, like em a lot but for entirely different reasons - while DYWM sounds very fun, cheerful, and kinda in its own bubble, HIGO is very concerned with the reality and how you could overcome it to be a better you; very inspiring and musically some of their tighest yet most accessible work imo; too bad the features dont really shine through, theyre mostly good aside from uhhh yeah i dont remember, there was one feature that i liked but i dont recall who it was, Dice Raw maybe

Dead Kennedys - DK is one of my favorite bands ever and Frankenchrist is not only my favorite album of theirs but literally in my top3 of all time across all genres; they sound fucking morbid on this one, but im glad that its much more consistent and diverse-sounding than their other projects that i enjoy but always thought sound roughly the same; Franken sticks out tho and thats what i love about it. the topics are scarily relevant but only so scary until you realize that theyre relevant not only to a different time but also to a different place, country rather; one thing for sure tho, Reagan done fucked you up my merican friends thats for goddamn certain

month 4x4

been busy lately but yeah random album from each line:

Busdriver - hated this album for years but grown to like it later, i think i still cant wrap my head around it even tho its like my millionth listen

Big Daddy Kane - i have so much fun listening to bdk, hes one of my favorites ever with so much charizma and skills on the mic that may across as too much ‘lyrical miracle’ these days but i can imagine how crazy it all sounded back then

Kanye - 808s is one of my least favorite projects from him and upon my revisit after like 3 years of not listening to it… its still mid yeah, feels too dragged out in places and quite tame comparing to whats coming; i get it its influential which doesnt mean good a lot of the times, like here for example

Walterwarm & Lordapex - cool album that reminds me of MIKE/sixpress stuff a lot, modern abstract lo-ft sound with bars about nothing memorable. give it a spin if ur looking for something similar to who i mentioned

Raw Poetic - ive not seen one mention of this project anywhere on the internet, the only rym rating is 2.5 stars or something which is baffling, the instrumentation on this one is cool, reminds me a bit of indie rock sound albeit not very diverse, rapping is also pretty good and the songs themselves are actually different from one another, will definitely recommend this one to a few people in the future, its worth a shot

OutKast - rarely do i listen to s/tlb but when i do i kinda remember how good it actually is; im not sure which disk do i prefer but off the top of my head speakerboxxx sounded much more cohesive and consistently enjoyable while the love below took more risks and had a few very catchy tracks

Joey Bada$$ - my fave proj from joey is prob all american, but recently i revisited 1999 and actually liked it way more than last time i heard it; mostly for how nice the rapping was, maybe its been a sec since i heard any beast coast stuff (not true) but this one felt quite refreshing and also atmospheric, perfect for early March mornings with the boom bap beats and all

Denzel Curry - dont think ive listened to planet shrooms in full before but its pretty good all in all, the latter half was super strong; to me denzel before taboo was much more exciting and artistically sufficient if that makes sense? taboo felt kinda watered down even tho i liked it, his earlier projects are all quite good almost top to bottom and his more obvious flaws arent as apparent as they were recently

Kendrick - so yeah ive not heard DAMN for some time now, its still great but i remember super good and the tracks that i like i still like a lot (shoutout GOD.)

Hawkwind - ive been listening to some gems from Hawkwind discography, this is a UK space rock band that was mostly prominent during the 70s, they got some insane tunes full of psychedelic sci-fi sounds and topics; Danny Brown sampled one of the tracks off of In Search of Space album, find out for yourself which one was it, the album is great and short so its definitely worth a listen